Expatriate Owl

A politically-incorrect perspective that does not necessarily tow the party line, on various matters including but not limited to taxation, academia, government and religion.

Monday, September 01, 2008

The Bristol Stomp

"Death and taxes and childbirth. There's never any convenient time for any of them."

So famously wrote Margaret Mitchell in her novel-cum-film Gone with the Wind.


Ah, but Bristol Palin's pregnancy, ergo, her childbirth, certainly comes at a convenient time for her mother's campaign.

And now, the tin-foil hat Democratic moonbats are all doing the Bristol Stomp. There is a certain irony in it all, proof, I daresay, that there really is a G-d who runs this world.

I applaud Bristol and the dad for their choice to keep and rear the child, wish them and the child and the grandparents the best, and will now leave them to their own devices to address the formidable challenges of parenthood.

Back in high school, my English teacher did not like the fact that I was reading a book while in class, so she confiscated the book. I checked another copy out of the library and continued to read the book in class. So the teacher conspired with the librarian (who really didn't like kids coming into the school library) to totally exclude me from the library. I also found that I was receiving failing grades for what should have been A papers (this is back in the days before grade inflation, when an "A" was a real accomplishment).

Okay, so I didn't have the optimal attitude. But howcum all of my other teachers were able to make their respective subjects interesting?

In any event, I was complaining to the guidance counselor, and I was trying to get transferred out of this particular teacher's class. It even got to the point of a 5-way conference between me, my parents, the teacher and the guidance counselor. My parents, to their credit, were inclined to let me face the consequences of my ill-advised attitude, and were backing up the teacher.

It continued to get worse -- until the teacher's pregnancy became obvious and she let it be known that she would soon be going out on maternity leave.

The word in the hallways, which I did nothing to discourage, was that I had made all the arrangements to set up the situation, if you know what I mean.

And I did quite well when the class was taught by the new teacher who came in to substitute for the remainder of the school year.

So, contrary to Margaret Mitchell's famed line, sometimes there IS a convenient time for childbirth!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home