Expatriate Owl

A politically-incorrect perspective that does not necessarily tow the party line, on various matters including but not limited to taxation, academia, government and religion.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thistles

I am not a Scotsman, and therefore, feel no need to coddle or tolerate thistle weeds growing in my back yard (though, in all fairness to the Scotsmen, it must be disclosed that I do imbibe their whisky, normally at least once per week.). Given my busy schedule, I have made relatively few visits to my own back yard during the past month or so, except to swim laps in the pool, when I normally do not wear my corrective lenses. And so, it only yesterday came to my attention that the beautiful pink flowers growing in the bushes by the fence were not just the minature roses, but were also the thistles going into bloom.

And so, today, after taking my wife's car to the shop and riding my bike home for the exercise, I decided to tackle the thistles before swimming laps in the pool. I put on the thick leather gloves, got the pruning shears, and proceeded. I was able to yank most of the thistle plants by their roots. I usually compost weeds, but these prickly nuisances were going to seed, so I placed them in an old cardboard box, which will go out with the trash and get burned in the municipal incinerator (which is run, under contract, by an energy-generating concern). I do not want those thistle seeds to propagate.

Then, after yanking out the thistles and some other weeds, including some Rhus Toxicodendron (commonly known as poison ivy), I dove into the pool and swam a few laps. My expeditious immersion into the pool no doubt spared me lots of itching from the Toxicodendron.

Where did the summer go? I was active, busy, and gainfully engaged in my profession, but this time around there was little opportunity to work in my garden.

And it looks like the pace will keep up. Once we get past the religious holidays, there is the distinct possibility of an excursion to Washington and/or Baltimore in late October and/or early November. Nothing definite yet, but things may have started to fall into place.

Rosh HaShanah is next week. I hope to be able to post again before then, but if not, let me wish everyone a good year. Shanah Tovah!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home