Expatriate Owl

A politically-incorrect perspective that does not necessarily tow the party line, on various matters including but not limited to taxation, academia, government and religion.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Thermostat or Calendar?






My Dad had always said that one must use the right tool for the right job.  He did not like it when, for example, I got a wood-burning set for my birthday, and used the wood-burning tool to melt solder (even though it was constructed like, and operated on the same principle as, a soldering iron).  And with Dad, you didn't even think of using any heavy implement other than a hammer to drive in a nail.

Seems that the folks at the college where I teach are using the wrong tool for the job of climate control.  In the New York City metropolitan area, including my own hamlet on Long Island, we have a freeze watch up, with ambient air temperatures considerably below the norm.  But at the College, they cannot turn on the heat because it is already past first day of April, when the heating system is shut down, but before the air conditioning system is fully up and running.

This wouldn't be so bad, except that in one of the buildings where I happened to have had classes two semesters ago, the internal climate control system (term used very questionably) was actually pumping cold air into the classrooms.  This, of course, elicited complaints from students and faculty alike.

But one of the faculty members whose English classes were so affected happens to be a flaming global warmist, and (at least heretofore) is very quick to inject it heavily into her lectures and assignments.

I only hope that at least a few of her students have not surrendered their thinking and reasoning functions (which seems to be more and more the norm at America's institutions of higher learning), and have the courage to question her when she starts again with this global warming pap.

As for me, I have not yet shut down the pilot to my furnace, so, if need be, I can flick the switch and have my heating operational almost instantaneously.
 


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home