Expatriate Owl

A politically-incorrect perspective that does not necessarily tow the party line, on various matters including but not limited to taxation, academia, government and religion.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

(Not) Missing Super Bowl 50





I did not watch the Super Bowl this year, primarily because I am 10 hours ahead of California time, and I had two important appointments the next day.  I needed the sleep more than the thrill. I could have gone over to a local establishment in my town, frequented by a largely Anglo crowd and possessing a large screen TV; I understand from acquaintances who did attend the all-nighter there that it was pretty good as far as Super Bowls go.  On account of the local alcoholic beverage control regulations, there were limitations on the service of intoxicating drinks during gametime hours.

I am not a fan of Lady Gaga, but, to her great credit, she at least did the National Anthem justice; unlike Beyonce, who insulted true Americans (and who was never a candidate for my adulation).  Quite frankly, I am more interested in the athletic aspect of the Super Bowl than in the show business aspects of the pre-game and half-time entertainment (though athletics has long morphed into show biz, including and especially at the Super Bowl.  The Romans had their Bread and Circuses, we have the Super Bowl and similar events).

The best football game I ever watched was back in the late 1970's, while I was in Georgia on business.  It was between two high school teams, and devoid of the hype and show production typical of major athletic events today.  Everyone on the field was there to play football, and the half-time show was just the respective schools' marching bands, who were there to play patriotic music.

Those were the days.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home